Sunday, July 11, 2010

Early Art 2: The Sequel


Beneath the Planet of the Apes, 8 1/2 x 11, Bic pen on hotel stationery, 1970

The other piece of childhood art. This one was saved by a schoolmate, passed on to a cousin and finally came into my possession two years ago. I did the drawing when I was ten after seeing the film at the old palatial Fox Theatre. It was one of the few places in small town Missouri where a kid could get a real sense of awe. The thick asian rugs, the tapestries, the statues and finally that immense ornate ceiling. It made every matinee movie seem important. The drawing was most likely done at our dining room table with a stack of "Famous Monsters of Filmland" magazines for reference. With crosshatching and very light pressure, I found I could get a full grayscale of values.

No comments:

Post a Comment