Thursday, September 15, 2011

Still Life with Personal Nostalgia



Childhood Artifacts, 9 x 12 oils
Nostalgia: A bittersweet longing for things, persons, or situations of the past. - American Heritage Dictionary

This is the first still life that I've ever actually finished. I would always lose interest. So on this one I chose a personal theme to help me stick with it. I originally had no intention of showing it or putting it on the market. The objects chosen took me back to the age of innocence, that period between the age of 6 and 12 when it seemed my life was a state of constant wonder and simple pleasures (it was an era soon to be replaced with awkward puberty and the realization that my family had issues.) The regional soda bottle and 45 record meant something to me but I wasn't sure if it would resonate with anyone else. Then I posted it on facebook and had one of the biggest responses ever. I've been told that it dates me, so be it.

So who is the artist on the 45 record? It could be the BeeGees, Iron Butterfly, Cream, The Who or others. It's whoever it is to you. For me?

"It's getting near dawn, when lights close their tired eyes..."


No comments:

Post a Comment