Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Augusta Plein Air 2012


Me in my $5 WalMart hoodie for a riverfront sunset.
  Ken, Jason and I left New Harmony, Indiana and drove straight to Augusta, Missouri for their annual competition. Third time for Ken and I, but Jason's first. We were originally going to call it a day off from painting but ended up "going for it" at the riverfront park in nearby Washington.

"The Light Show" 8 x 10, oils.

   Augusta has daily competitions and Monday's was to paint the historic town. I chose an old stone shed/garage mainly because it was midday and I was facing it's north side so the light wouldn't change dramatically. I originally chose to make the roses the center of interest but after about an hour the sun began to rake over the west side creating dappled light on the stonework and I had a whole new painting. It ended up garnering an Honorable Mention.

"Beautiful Shed" 9 x 12, oils. Honorable Mention.
   Tuesdays competition was in Klondike Park, a geologic oddity of craggy bluffs and a lake with a white sand beach. We had heard about a scenic rock outcropping so Jason, Laura Kratz and I set out to find it and got a great workout in the process as it was close to the highest point in the park.

Jason painting the rock up on Hogback Ridge in Klondike Park.
   As a fun turn of events, Jason won the Klondike Purchase Award with Ken and I getting Honorable Mentions.

"Top of Klondike" 9 x 12, oils. Honorable Mention. SOLD
   The next day I took Ken and Jason to Femme Osage Creek, my favorite place to paint in the region. There are so many paintings waiting to be found there. We also had a themed competition this year called "Springtime in the Vineyard." I had painted two vineyard scenes but the first was purchased off my easel so I entered the second one and won the Purchase Award from Mt Pleasant Winery. I think the owner and vineyard manager were relieved that I wanted to chat about wine instead of art!

"Dappled Light on Femme Osage Creek" 9 x 12, oils.
"Welcome to Augusta" 8 x 10, oils. SOLD
"Missouri Terroir" 8 x 10, oils. Vineyard Purchase Award.
A not so spontaneous moment with Mt Pleasant owner Chuck Dressel
    We usually went out and painted again after dinner so I was able to get in another sunset painting from the Hancock Bottoms and a nocturne of Johann's little store/gas station.

"The Golden Hour" 8 x 10, oils.
"Sorry, We're Closed" 8 x 10, oils.
Jason ended up winning the Artist's Choice award plus Second Place overall. We all had sales that day to conclude a very successful trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment