Friday, May 18, 2012

White River Paint Out 2012

"Fletcher Mountain Vista" 9 x 12, oils. Best of Show
    I spent a lot of time in the '90s hiking and canoeing the Arkansas Ozarks. It's like the Missouri Ozarks on steroids, everything is just bigger and wilder. I've wanted to paint there but lacked the opportunity since I got into plein air about a decade ago. Thankfully some folks have finally created a paint out right in the heart of the region.

"Solitude" 9 x 12, oils.
    The event was in early May and I went down a day early to scope the place out in search of scenic spots. I headed first to Buffalo Point on the mighty Buffalo River. It's towering bluffs and crystal clear water never disappoint. I drove through the national forest, Norfolk and then on to Cotter looking for other access points to the Buffalo and White Rivers. This was going to be an awesome place to paint.

"High-Water Mark" 5 x 7, oils.
  I ended up doing five paintings in two days including taking an Honorable Mention in the Quick Paint competition. On the awards day I won my first ever Best of Show. I also won Best First-Timer and the Anna and John Riggs Purchase Award. There were so many areas I still want to paint that I'll have to go back next year.

"Enjoying the Ride" 8 x 10, oils.

No comments:

Post a Comment